Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Kitschy Christmas Catalogs

I come from a shopping family. Acquisition of useless but adorable objects was our regular group activity. Now I have scruples regarding consumerism. In fact, I have far more scruples than dollars. So this is the time of year I control my old addiction by reading the holiday catalogs that flock to my mailbox. I can't get enough of them. It's like a nicotine patch for my wallet. No matter how overpriced or ridiculous the stuff is, I always find at least one thing in every catalog that makes me say, "Hey, that is a good idea!" Case in point: who could not appreciate a red plastic figure named "Al?" You put Al in a pot of spaghetti and after exactly seven minutes, when the pasta is "Al Dente," he will play 30 seconds of an aria from Aida. "No more guessing or tasting a hot noodle!" according to Solutions. Great idea, right? But would you pay $30 plus shipping for Al? I'll stick with burning my tongue on noodles.

Sure, I read the high-class catalogs, like Wireless and Frontgate. But my real favorites are the corny, kitschy catalogs like Miles Kimball and Harriet Carter. (Am I the only one who cried when Lillian Vernon went out of business?) Last week I found a Carter classic. Page 70, top right: the "Merry Christmas from Heaven Ornament." It's a hanging tree ornament with a place for a photo of a departed loved one. It is inscribed with this poem:

I love you all dearly.
Now don't shed a tear.
I'm spending my Christmas
with Jesus this year.


A Christmas ornament for dead people! Brilliant. It started me thinking about other ornaments or holiday cards for "unique" situations. How about an ornament for an ex-husband? Something like this:

Merry Christmas to my EX.
I'm glad that you're not here.
'Cause I've spent the alimony
On my new boyfriend this year.

How about a Hannukah card for a Jewish jerk?


We broke the glass.
We sipped the wine.
I thought our life would be so fine.
But you screwed around with my best friend,
And so our marriage had to end.
You expected me to cry,
But not a tear escaped my eye.
A GREAT MIRACLE HAPPENED HERE:
I am doing fine without you, dear!

Finally, what about a holiday card for that freeloading relative who barges in every year?

Every holiday you come knocking.
You never bring nuttin',
Not even a stocking.
You eat all the dip,
Drop your towels on the floor,
And your slutty wife is such a bore.
It's like sticking our heads inside a noose.
We've had enough of this abuse.
So this year the keys are under the mat.
We got a kennel to board the cat.
Blow up the Aero bed by mouth.
We booked a cruise and headed south!

I invite you; implore you -- please join in and send me your alternative holiday wishes for those you care about -- in "different" ways. Maybe next year we could start our own catalog. Lillian Vernon, your bankruptcy should not be in vain!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

love "your voice"! I could read you every day.As a matter of fact I'm going to try to start my day with your insights. It helps me laugh even as I'm brushing my teeth! Peggie

gillian cooke said...

keep up the good work hun, i truly love it it makes me smile:0) x x x x

Laura Huntt Foti said...

As a December baby there have been a few times when I have received a present that should have been accompanied by a card like this:

Your birthday's in the holiday season
Providing cheapskates with a reason
Not to buy two gifts a year
But send a "combination" cheer.

Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas!

Love the blog! Keep 'em coming.

Post a Comment